Tuesday, May 7, 2013

There's more


I tell you...  There is more to this parenting thing than I realize after almost 6 years of doing it.  I am supposed to be teaching my daughter you guys, but she's really teaching me.  She is teaching me to be patient, though I'm not a great student.  She's teaching me to be kinder.  She is teaching me that the small things matter as long as we are together.  She's teaching me how to love better.  I know that sounds weird to some, but when your your heart gets broken along your way in life, you have to learn to love better.  If you don't, that anger and resentment sets in and takes over.  It's taken me down before, but she's teaching me to let it go and she doesn't even know it.

There's definitely more to his parenting thing.  This picture is a reminder to be kinder and love more.  I was taking a small nap, ahem, today.  Yep- I was, okay?  They call it a siesta in Mexico.  So, I had told my daughter to read and be quiet.  I just needed to rest me eyes a little.  I started to fall asleep and as soon as I did I hear her come into my room.  My mommy radar goes off as soon as one of my children enter my room any time, day or night.  So I try to ignore her and keep my eyes shut.  Start to go back to sleep and she comes in again right as I am falling back to sleep.  Patience.  Ignore.  The third time I had had enough.  As soon as I open my eyes she has a question for me, so I explode "Get Out!"  There.  I cannot believe she kept walking back and forth into my room to ask me THAT question.

Well by then, my nap was over.  I get up out of my bed and almost pass it.  Almost.  There is an envelope laying by my bed. I picked it up.  Sealed.  I open it and I realize why my daughter was coming into my room.  She was drawing pictures and sealing them up and laying them by my bed so when I got up I would find them.

That's it people.  Be kind.  Be patient and don't overlook the small things because if you do, the bigger things just aren't as worth as much.  Learn from the little ones.  They have lots to offer.  I'm still learning too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment